How to secure a student visa for Italy
Start your study adventure with some gelato and scenic Italian architecture. Source: Christopher Czermak/Unsplash


Do you want to experience a study abroad adventure in Italy but you’re concerned about the visa process?

Check out the scenic cities of Italy. Source: Giphy

If yes, have no fear! Study International has a list of valuable tips to help you on your way…

Why choose Italy?

Apart from the country’s reputation for mouthwatering pasta and pizza, why do so many international students choose to expand their professional careers in Italy?

Well, with some of the world’s top business schools and the most Instagrammable gap year destinations, is it any wonder that international learners flock by their thousands to Italian universities?

What are the basic student visa requirements?

Student visas for your Italian study abroad adventure are issued by Italian Embassies and consular posts in your country of origin or permanent residence.

If you’re a non-EU student, you’re required to obtain a student visa prior to entering Italy.

However, if you’re a student from the European Union (EU), you can enter Italy with a valid passport or ID card and are permitted to complete a university degree in Italy without a visa for as long as you wish.

But if you’re an EU student, you must register with the local Questura (police station) to obtain a residence permit.

What documents do I need to prepare?

Every year, the Ministry for Education, University and Research (MIUR) in Italy publish the rules for foreign students’ access to university courses.

As you can see, the official document for the entry procedures of international students to higher education courses in Italy for 2018-2019 is written in Italian.

However, these are the resources you’re expected to have upon your student visa application as outlined by Study in Italy (SII):

– One recent passport-size photograph

– A complete entry application form

– A travel document valid for at least three months after your visa ends

– Enrollment or pre-enrollment in a university course and a letter to prove this

– Proof that you have arranged your accommodation in Italy

– Proof that you have financial support (at least € 448.07 per month for the academic year, a total of € 5824.91 per year)

– Adequate insurance coverage for medical treatment and hospitalisation

– Proof of the availability of the financial means needed for repatriation

– Proof of adequate knowledge of Italian or English according to the language of the programme

Please note that if you’re an EU citizen or come from EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), you must not apply for a residence permit. However, if you are going to stay in Italy for mote than a three-month period, you should register with the local Anagrafe (Register Office).

What if I want to work during my studies?

Great news, for EU citizens – you’re free to work without a visa and for non-EU citizens, you’re allowed to work but must apply for a suitable work permit.

The bad news is that your working hours should not exceed more than 20 hours a week during the semester. Therefore, you’re not likely to earn enough to cover your tuition fees but you will have enough time to study and earn your degree!

Once international students have found a job and wish to apply for a work permit at the local immigration office, they must show a signed copy of their employment contract.

You could always become a part-time pizza deliverer! Source: Giphy

So, from all of us here at Study International, we wish you Buona Fortuna! And we hope you enjoy your academic adventure in Italy…

Liked this? Then you’ll love…. 

How to secure a student visa for China

How easy is it to secure a student visa for Uzbekistan?