A new University of Edinburgh scholarship is now up for grabs for two female African students: the Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships. Provided by the Centre of African Studies, the programme will start in September 2022 with an MSc in Africa and International Development, followed by a PhD in African Studies.
“We’re excited to announce a new Catto scholarship for our PhD African Studies programme! Open to female candidates from Africa,” tweeted the centre. “Preference for research on conflict, elections, tech, gender or governance.”
The University of Edinburgh scholarship includes coverage of full tuition fees, plus an annual maintenance stipend for four years (15,840 pounds for the one-year MSc and in the subsequent three years or four years of PhD study) and 4,000 pounds to cover UK visa application fees, travel costs to Edinburgh, and more.
Are you a female #Africanstudent interested to study #Gender , #Governance , #Conflict , #Elections & #Tech in #Africa? Apply by 15 April for this combined #Master + #PhD Catto #scholarship opportunity and come join us @africanstudies @uoessps Deadline for scholarship: 30 April https://t.co/Aod6CpRdqV pic.twitter.com/ebAxNYbgp5
— Dr Rama Salla DIENG 🇸🇳 (@drsaalajeng) March 15, 2022
How to apply for the new University of Edinburgh scholarship
These are the eligibility requirements:
- Female normally domiciled in an African country
- An excellent undergraduate degree (minimum of a high 2.1) in the social sciences from an accredited university in Africa (a master’s degree achieved with distinction will be an advantage).
- no previous degree from a university outside Africa (except the University of Edinburgh)
- commitment to studying for a PhD in African Studies
- leadership potential and intention to maximise the impact of their research
- an offer to study for the MSc in Africa and International Development and/or the PhD in African Studies at the University of Edinburgh
- international English qualifications and English language tests, such as IELTS or PTE Academic (find the full list here)
To apply, interested applicants who fulfill these requirements must send:
- A summary of your research proposal (maximum two pages)
- A cover letter indicating your motivations, leadership experience and future plans (maximum one page)
- An academic CV, clearly showing class of degree and previous educational achievements (maximum two pages)
- One letter of reference
Deadlines to apply for the programme and scholarship are April 15, 2022 and April 30, 2022, respectively.
Unlike other scholarships, this award will serve as “a bridge between undergraduate studies and the PhD.” It will allow you to gain “sufficient research experience to embark on a PhD to get that grounding with an MSc,” as stated on the university’s website. The award aims to encourage applicants who think a PhD is out of reach by combining both postgraduate qualifications.