3 ways ChatGPT can help you learn the top skills employers want in 2023

how to become smarter
Want to set yourself apart from your peers as you graduate? Here’s how you can use ChatGPT and the Internet to learn the best skills you need in 2023. Source: Jens Schlueter/AFP

If you’ve ever been a student settling into a new country, you’ve probably asked how to become smarter as quickly and pain-free a possible.

Technology may offer an answer. No one becomes smarter overnight but computers are more powerful than ever, changing the world in many ways even as you’re reading this.

Seemingly over the course of the first weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, entire university courses shifted online thanks to platforms like Zoom.

More programmes include extended reality, taking us from textbooks to VR headsets. 

More recently, ChatGPT — a free online chatbot by San Francisco research lab Open AI — is putting us at the forefront of a technological wave known as generative artificial intelligence.

What sets this chatbot apart from the rest is its ability to learn quickly.

It is “fed” hundreds of billions of words in the form of books, conversations and web articles based on a model known as a large language model.

ChatGPT’s ability to produce entire sentences comes from its “learnings” of the model.  

While the responses are limited to information collected in 2021, there are seemingly endless possibilities for using this tool.

Some examples include translation, generating text for marketing copies, summarising news, coding, and many more. 

As a student, there’s never been a more exciting time to learn and graduate. But if you have no idea what you just read, don’t worry.

Here’s all you need to know about this AI tool and how to become smarter using it:

How does ChatGPT works?

Here are four simple steps to use this chatbot:  

  • Click here to go to their website 
  • Create a free account
  • Type in a question 
  • Wait for a response 

Do note that the servers might be down when there is a huge amount of users on the website. 

how to become smarter

Some unis don’t have rules to deal with students who use chatbots to write their essays. Source: Philippe Lopez/AFP

Can students use ChatGPT? Will I get expelled?

That depends on what you do with ChatGPT. One college professor in South Carolina felt “abject terror”  after catching a student using the chatbot to write an essay for his philosophy class

Unis do set academic integrity policies that include expulsion as a disciplinary action. Serious cases of plagiarism or cheating can result in getting kicked out of uni.

But it can be hard to determine whether an AI wrote an essay, according to Christopher Bartel, a professor of philosophy at Appalachian State University.

“If it comes back with a 95% likelihood that the essay is AI (artificial intelligence) generated, there’s still a 5% chance that it wasn’t,” he tells Business Insider.

Some unis don’t have rules to combat this kind of cheating. But that doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to get ChatGPT to do your homework — partially or fully — for you.

When in doubt, ask your professor.

How to become smarter: 3 ways ChatGPT can help you to learn the best skills in 2023


What do you do you’re finding the best places to eat? You would use a search engine like Google. 

While you would be able to see your results in a matter of seconds, you might not notice the complex decisions Google makes to generate those results. 

SEO is the method you use to make sure your article or website lands on the first page of a Google search — which is easier said than done.

While you may not need this skill much as a student, this skill is highly sought-after by employers.

One of the easiest ways to start learning SEO is by using ChatGPT. Here are a few things you can try:

  • You can start by asking: “What is SEO?”
  • If you need ideas to suggest a few keywords for your articles, you can ask for a list of keywords relevant to what you want to write.
  • To take this a step further, you can ask whether it will be easier for a particular keyword to achieve a higher SEO ranking.
how to become smarter

Social media apps like TikTok have changed the way we view content – which is why video editing is a key skill to learn in 2023. Source: Loic Venance/AFP

Video editing

TikTok has completely changed how the world consumes content. From launching the careers of influencers to teaching us new languages, you can use this app in lots of ways. 

Businesses know the impact of great videos. That’s why companies are embracing long-form content in marketing their business.

What will set you apart from the rest is your ability to create, edit and post videos according to major trends and insights. 

ChatGPT can help you become an efficient video creator. It helps support your content creation process — from creating video scripts, coming up with ideas, or writing better subtitles


There’s a reason why coding is one of the best skills you can learn in 2023.

Once you understand how to build programmes and process data, you can develop technologies like an app or programme to improve people’s lives. 

While you can use ChatGPT to learn the basics of coding, we recommend you check out some popular coding courses on Coursera to build on your understanding as well.

However, this chatbot is a great tool for you to find mistakes in your code. 

Other ways tech can help you to learn the best skills 

Look no further than the Internet. There are many free sites where you can learn, practise and master the best skills that will help you land your dream job or advance your career.

For example, the HubSpot Academy has a bank of online courses to learn all things marketing. Find comprehensive certification, bite-sized lessons, and courses to help you grow your knowledge. 

If you prefer to learn from the experts, browse through one of the free courses on Udemy. Choose from over 213,000 courses covering a wide range of subjects from design and business to Python.