We’ve all heard of famous commencement addresses given by prominent people such as celebrities (Ellen DeGeneres, Amy Poehler), politicians (Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton), and entrepreneurs (Oprah, Steve Jobs).
But what about your regular Average Joe? What would you do if someone randomly came up to you and asked you to give an impromptu commencement speech?
While most people would run away out of a fear of public speaking, several brave folks pushed their fears aside and delivered heartfelt, inspiring speeches for a group of fresh graduates.
Of course, these were fake graduates, as the skit was the brainchild of Improv Everywhere, a self-described “New York City-based prank collective”.
Between having a speech done completely in Spanish, having a shy young girl make an attempt, and serenading the graduating class with an Italian opera song, there were some really hard-hitting truths and uplifting words shared.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- “Reach for the stars. Live your life to the fullest. Peace out!”
- “You should look at life as the Hawaiians do – Life is an echo: what you put out is what you’re gonna get back.”
- “You guys are all gonna kick ass in real life.”
- “In a nutshell, you’re graduating into a very tough job market.”
- “And don’t forget to party as well, because you deserve it, of course.”
What a great way to kick-start graduate life – even if they were ‘fake’ graduates!
Image via Improv Everywhere