Newsflash: to watch a British television series such as Peaky Blinders or Sherlock; to wear clothes from Topshop or Topman; to listen to artists such as Adele; to read books like Harry Potter; to shop at Tesco; and even to support English football teams like Manchester City or Liverpool, you don’t have to be from Britain.
These quintessentially-British things are enjoyed by many around the globe, and likely even yourself, despite not growing up in the country.
But that doesn’t matter – you’ve been exposed to British culture through films and a variety of media, which might lead you to think you have a relatively good grasp of British slang and culture…but do you really?
For anyone who didn’t grow up in England or the UK, here’s a quiz to see how well you know your British culture.
1. What's the nickname used to describe London’s underground?
2. Which of the following celebrities is from Britain?
3. What's a nickname for police officers?
4. In which part of England do people speak with a cockney accent?
5. What do people wear on Remembrance Day?
6. In which part of England do people speak with a Geordie accent?
7. Where is Big Ben located?
8. Where does the Prime Minister live?
9. “Ron is enjoying his butty.” What is a butty?
10. What is ‘toad in the hole’?
Share your Results:
Liked this? Then you’ll love…
It’s a bargain! 10 UK cities for the thrifty international student
The UK is the best country in the world for education, says study