Studying abroad is an expensive affair for many international students.
A report by HSBC in 2018 shows that international students in the US spend an average of US$99,417 throughout their studies. That figure is expected to increase as higher education grapples with inflationary demands.
In the UK, the government notes that students must demonstrate that they have 1,023 pounds to 1,334 pounds per month to sustain themselves financially throughout their time studying in and out of London — in a country where the inflation rate is 10.4%.
With this, many students might put off their dream of studying abroad as they simply cannot afford it.
Don’t worry — the Institute of International Education (IIE) is here to help.
What is Institute of International Education?
Founded in 1919, the founders of IIE believed that international education could build a more secure and equitable world.
Today, the nonprofit has helped more than 29,000 students from 180 countries each year through its scholarship programmes.
IIE helps institutions worldwide engage in global activities by developing international programmes, overseeing international scholarship programmes, forming alliances, and broadening the global reach of an institution.
What’s more, IIE develops educational and training programmes for students, teachers, and professionals in various fields.
View this post on Instagram
Helping underprivileged students to studying abroad
IIE continues to work towards providing students with financial aid opportunities to further their studies.
In 2021, 27 Malawians were awarded scholarships through the Agricultural Transformation Initiative Fellowship and Scholarship Fund (ATI FSF) to further their studies.
The ATI FSF was designed to strengthen the capacity of researchers and professionals in Malawi. Nineteen scholarships were given to master’s students and eight for postdoctoral research in agriculture, business, data science, economics, ecology, environment and engineering.
Recently, IIE supported students, scholars and artists from Ukraine through grants and international scholarships.
According to the Senior Vice President of Programme Development and Partner Service, Jonah Kokodyniak, “For over a century, IIE has worked to build a more peaceful, equitable world, and we’re as committed to this as ever today.”
“We have made it a critical part of our mission to have an ongoing set of emergency support programmes that provide financial assistance and safe haven to students, scholars and artists,” he told Study International.
New @IIEglobal #scholarship opportunity!
The Global Democracy Ambassador Scholarship for Ukrainian Scholars will provide 10 Ukrainian students with scholarships of up to $30,000 for the 2022-2023 academic year!
Read more on eligibility & apply here: https://t.co/t7UJjBtKxX pic.twitter.com/xfmMOiILQ7
— IIE PEER (@iiepeer) September 12, 2022
Other scholarships IIE administers include the Fulbright Programme, Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, and the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme, to name a few.
If you are searching for a scholarship to support your academic journey abroad, IIE offers 77 scholarships to international students.
Here is a list of the 77 scholarships offered by IIE to international students:
- Adobe Design Circle Scholarships
- Alcoa Foundation Conservation and Sustainability Fellowship Programme
- ATI Fellowship and Scholarship Fund (FSF)
- Au Pair Scholarship
- Avery Dennison Foundation Children of Employees Scholarship Programme
- Baker Hughes Scholars Programme
- Barsa Scholarship Programme
- Becas ExxonMobil para la Investigacion
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Programme
- Boren Awards for International Study
- BP/NOC Workforce Readiness Scholarship Programme
- Brazil Scientific Mobility Programme
- Cargill Global Scholars Programme
- Central Europe Summer Research Institue
- Chevron International REACH Scholarship Programme
- China Environmental Stewardship Award Competition
- China-US Scholars Programme (CUSP)
- Confucius China Studies Programme
- Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel
- Dow Jones International Scholarship Programme
- Emergency Student Fund
- Emerging Markets Development Advisers Programme
- Esso Angolan Scholars Programme
- Eurobank EFG Scholarships
- Freeman Indonesia Nonprofit Internship Programme
- Fulbright Foreign Student Programme
- Fulbright Silvermine Residency
- Fulbright U.S. Student Programme
- GE Foundation TECH Award
- GE STAR Awards
- GI Bill Benefits for Study Abroad
- Global E3
- HEI Private University Scholarships Programme
- Higher Education Readiness (HER) Programme
- Hong Kong Vincennes University Scholarship
- Ibrahim Leadership and Dialogue Project
- IIE PEER
- IIE Refugee EdTech Programme – edX MicroMasters®
- IIE Syria Consortium for Higher Education in Crisis
- IIE’s Women Enhancing Technology (WeTech) Initiative
- Invensys Children of Employee Scholarship Programme
- Iraq Scholars and Leaders Programme
- Japan-US ICT Teacher Exchange Programme
- Julia Stasch-IIE Scholarship for Refugees
- Klein Family Scholarship
- L&L Products Foundation Scholarship Programme
- Leonora Lindsley Memorial Fellowship
- Leveraging Leadership in Ethiopia Accelerator Programme
- Lockheed Martin International Scholarship Programme
- Maternal Health Young Champions Programme
- Mattel Global Scholarship Programme
- Nancy Petry Scholarship for Study Abroad
- NYU Abu Dhabi
- O. Temple Sloan, Jr. Founder’s Scholarship Programme
- Partnership for Higher Education in Africa
- Project GO
- Research Technical Assistance Center
- Russell Berrie Fellowship in Interreligious Studies
- Student Emergency Initiatives (SEI)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Global Initiative for Breast Cancer Awareness
- The American Chamber of Commerce Charitable Foundation Lyn Edinger U.S. Studies Scholarship
- The Language Flagship
- The Richard A. Horovitz Fund for Professional Development
- The Sidney Harman Vision Scholarship
- The Sustainable U.S. – Palestinian Higher Education Partnerships (SUPHEP) Programme
- Timor-Leste Hillary Clinton Scholarship Programme
- US-Indonesia Partnership Programme
- USAID Lincoln Scholarship Programme
- USAID LOTUS Scholarship Programme
- USAID Programme to Extend Scholarships and Training to Achieve Sustainable Impacts (PRESTASI), Phase III
- Verizon Innovative Learning Programme
- Waha Oil Scholarship Programme